As per the provision made in the Article 343 of the Constitution, Hindi in Devnagari script is the Official Language of the Union.
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS
STARRED QUESTION NO. 394
TO BE ANSWERED ON THE 08TH JANUARY, 2019 / PAUSHA 18, 1940 (SAKA)
PROMOTION OF RAJBHASHA HINDI
394. SHRI MANSHANKAR NINAMA
Will the Minister of HOME AFFAIRS be pleased to state:
- (a) whether the Government has prepared schemes for according appropriate honour to Rajbhasha Hindi and its world-wide and nation-wide promotion and propagation as per Constitutional provisions;
- (b) if so, the schemes prepared during the last three years along with the funds spent on these schemes;
- (c) the proper steps taken for better use of Rajbhasha Hindi in Science and Technology; and
MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS
(SHRI KIREN RIJIJU)
(a) to (d): A statement is laid on the table of the House.
STATEMENT IN REPLY TO LOK SABHA STARRED QUESTION NO. 394 FOR ANSWER ON 08.01.2019 REGARDING “PROMO TION OF RAJBHASHA HINDI”
(a), (b) & (d) Yes Madam, As per the provision made in the Article 343 of the Constitution, Hindi in Devnagari script is the Official Language of the Union. For the recognition of the Official Language and its wide publicity at national and international level Government of India has formulated various schemes like Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar Yojana, Rajbhasha Gaurav Puraskar Yojana, Rajbhasha Regional Awards, Encouragement/Incentive Scheme, Cash prize for Hindi learning etc. An annual Programme is prepared by the Department of Official Language, which sets targets for promotion of correspondence in Hindi, noting in Hindi, training in Hindi language etc. Apart from this, targets are fixed to impart training to the officials in the fields of Hindi language, Hindi typing, Hindi stenography as well as Hindi translation. A detailed statement is at Annexure ‘I’. The annual budget for this purpose is Rs.74.45 crore.
(c) Yes Madam, Efforts are being made by the Department of Science and Technology to ensure better utilization of the Official Language. Science communication & popularization programmes are being organized throughout the country in Hindi as well as Regional Languages. Radio serials through AIR are developed, produced & broadcasted in Hindi. Books titled “Bharat mei Samudri Bhu Vigyan ka Itihas” and “Sab tak pahuchana hai” and Hindi journal like “Vigyan Pragati”, “Aavishkar” and “Dream 2047” have helped in bringing knowledge and updates regarding scientific happening throughout the world to Hindi speaking people.
L.S.S.Q. No. 394 FOR 08.01.2019
I. Award Schemes
- a. Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar Yojana – under this scheme every year shields are awarded to various Ministries, Departments, Boards/Institutions, Autonomous Bodies etc. Nationalized Banks, Public Sector Undertakings and Town Official Language Implementation Committees for their outstanding achievements in promoting the Official Language Policy of the Government.
- b. Rajbhasha Gaurav Puraskar Yojana – Rajbhasha Gaurav Puraskar is given to Citizens of India for writing original book in Hindi on knowledge and science based subjects. Rajbhasha Gaurav Puraskar is also awarded to Central Government Employees (including retired one) for writing original book and writing excellent article in Hindi.
- c. Rajbahsha Regional Awards - Under the Rajbhasha Regional Award Scheme shields are awarded every year to various Central Government Offices, subordinate offices of Nationalized Banks, Public Sector Undertakings and Town Official Language Implementation Committees for their outstanding achievements in promoting the Official Language Policy of the Government
II. Encouragement / Incentive Schemes
- a. Increment in Personnel Pay - With a view to encouraging Central Government officers/employees an incentive/Personal pay equivalent to one increment for 12 months is given on Hindi Language, Hindi Typewriting and Hindi Stenography
- b. Incentive for Stenographer & Typist for doing Official Work in Hindi
- c. Incentive for doing Noting/Drafting originally in Hindi
III. Cash Prize Schemes
- a. Prabodh, Praveen & Pragya
- b. Hindi Word Processing
- c. Hindi Stenography
IV. Training Schemes
a. Central Hindi Training Institute – impart training of Hindi language, Hindi typing & stenography to the employees of Central Government. The targets of CHTI for the year of 2018-19 are as follows:
- i. Hindi Language – 38750 Trainees
- ii. Hindi Typing – 4740 Trainees
- iii. Hindi Stenography – 930 Trainees