The Government of India, in recognition of the long-felt need for efficiency in government processes and service delivery mechanisms, has included e-Office as a core mission mode project (MMP) under the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP).
The Government of India, in recognition of the long-felt need for efficiency in government processes and service delivery mechanisms, has included e-Office as a core mission mode project (MMP) under the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP). It is estimated that this MMP has the potential of targetting over 2 lakh users.
This MMP aims at significantly improving the operational efficiency of the Government by transitioning to a "Less Paper Office".
The objectives of the MMP are:
- To improve efficiency, consistency and effectiveness of government responses
- To reduce turnaround time and to meet the demands of the citizens charter
- To provide for effective resource management to improve the quality of administration
- To reduce processing delays
- To establish transparency and accountability
e-Development of India as the engine for transition into a developed nation and an empowered society.
To promote e-Governance for empowering citizens, promoting the inclusive and sustainable growth of the Electronics, IT & ITeS industries, enhancing India’s role in Internet Governance, adopting a multipronged approach that includes development of human resources, promoting R&D and innovation, enhancing efficiency through digital services and ensuring a secure cyber space.
- e-Government: Providing e-infrastructure for delivery of e-services
- e-Industry: Promotion of electronics hardware manufacturing and IT-ITeS industry
- e-Innovation / R&D: Implementation of R&D Framework - Enabling creation of Innovation/ R&D Infrastructure in emerging areas of ICT & E/Establishment of mechanism for R&D translation
- e-Learning: Providing support for development of e-Skills and Knowledge network
- e-Security: Securing India’s cyber space
- e-Inclusion: Promoting the use of ICT for more inclusive growth
Internet Governance: Enhancing India’s role in Global Platforms of Internet Governance.
Functions of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
MINISTRY OF ELECTRONICS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- Policy matters relating to information technology; Electronics; and Internet (all matters other than licensing of Internet Service Provider).
- Promotion of internet, IT and IT enabled services.
- Promotion of Digital Transactions including Digital Payments.
- Assistance to other departments in the promotion of E-Governance, E- Commerce, E- Medicine, E- Infrastructure, etc.
- Promotion of Information Technology education and Information Technology-based education.
- Matters relating to Cyber Laws, administration of the Information Technology Act. 2000 (21 of 2000) and other IT related laws.
- Matters relating to promotion and manufacturing of Semiconductor Devices in the country excluding all matters relating to Semiconductor Complex Limited (SCL), Mohali.
- Interaction in IT related matters with international agencies and bodies e.g. Internet for Business Limited (IFB), Institute for Education in Information Society (IBI) and International Code Council – on line (ICC).
- Initiative on bridging the Digital Divide: Matters relating to Digital India Corporation.
- Promotion of Standardization, Testing and Quality in IT and standardization of procedure for IT application and Tasks.
- Electronics Export and Computer Software Promotion Council (ESC).
- National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- Initiatives for development of Hardware/Software industry including knowledge– based enterprises, measures for promoting IT exports and competitiveness of the industry.
- All matters relating to personnel under the control of the Ministry.
- Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).