Each block with over 50% tribal population and over 20,000 tribals to have EMRSs 462 new Eklavya Model Residential Schools to set up Autonomous Society under M/o Tribal Affairs to run the EMRSs Cabinet approves revamping of ‘Eklavya Model Residential Schools’
- There will be an Autonomous Society under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs similar to NavodayaVidyalayaSamiti to run the EMRSs.
- Upgradation of already sanctioned EMRSs on need basis with unit cost subject to a maximum of Rs. 5 crore per school.
- Setting up sports facilities in 163 tribal dominated districts at a unit cost of Rs. 5 crore each to be constructed by the year 2022. Financial provisions for 15 sports facilities during 2018-19 and 2019-20 has been agreed to.
- Enhancing the grants for maintenance which are admissible every five years from Rs 10 lakh to Rs.20 Lakh.
- 102 of such blocks are already having EMRSs. Thus, 462 new EMRSs will be established in these blocks across the country.
- The new scheme envisages increase in construction cost of EMRS from current Rs.12 crore to Rs. 20 crore to improve the construction quality and ensure better facilities for the students.
- Recurring cost to be enhanced to Rs. 1,09,000/- per student per year from the existing Rs. 61500/- per student per year from 2019-20 onwards.
- Additional 20% would be provided towards construction cost in North East, hilly areas, difficult areas and areas affected by Left Wing Extremism.